Thursday, March 3, 2011

Beachy Themed Master

We recently changed out the brass headboard we received as a house warming gift when we bought our first house in 1990.  :)  Yes, it was time to change it.  We struggled with what to replace it with.  My husband could make us a new one out of wood, but we didn't want to put a lot of money into a California King size when we were thinking of changing to a regular king bed.

So, we used the advice of Kate at Centsational Girl and made an upholstered headboard that was low cost and easy to make.  You can see that tutorial HERE



The hardest part was finding the fabric.  I learned that most (maybe all?) fabric patterns run the wrong way for this sort of project.  I didn't want the pattern to be going sideways and I didn't want a seam in the middle, so I had to use a solid fabric.

We used a piece of 1/2" plywood and cut it to 67" wide and 36" tall. 

We used 1/2 foam purchased at Joann's, and stapled that to the plywood. We used 1/2" foam so that the headboard wouldn't be too thick since we were attaching moulding to it.  I only put the foam on the front of the plywood. I topped that with batting, and wrapped it around to the back where I stapled it .  The fabric was then put down on the floor, face down, then the rest is set on it.  We pulled the sides tight and stapled them, then pulled the corners and made sure there weren't any gaps.  Once we were sure of everything being straight and pulled tight, we put lots more staples in to really hold it.


We then attached a 2 1/2" moulding around the edges, so the final piece is 72" wide and 38 1/2" tall.  We attached this 'picture hanging system' ($10 at Lowes) to the wall and to the headboard and hung it easily. 






Since our bathroom has a beachy theme (you can see that HERE),  I wanted this room to have the same feel. 


I found a set of these shams on ebay.


I found a little accent pillow to match the shams, but was not going to spend $44 for one!  I ended up making my own.  Yes, it looks like a homemade pillow, but it was fun, it cost $5 to make, and we like it.  I cut three starfish out of felt and glued them on, then sewed a few straight lines, stuffed it and it was good to go!





I loved the starfish flag Layla from The Lettered Cottage made.  Her tutorial is HERE.  I had such a fun time making it and am happy the way it ties in with the room.





So that's our room.  We would still love to change a few things.  My husband hates the color on the walls.  It looks much darker in these pictures than in person. In person it looks more like a sand color, but I'm sure we'll be painting before long...  We would also love to put new carpet in here and get a new comforter, but those will have to wait a bit.  And, if we do end up switching out to a regular king bed, he can make a new headboard out of wood. 

I am so excited to have reached over 100 followers!  Thanks so much for coming by.  I appreciate your visits and comments! 

Pam

I am linking up to the following parties:

The DIY Show Off Project Parade
Debbiedoo's Newbie Party
Between Naps on the Porch's Met Monday
Jennifer Rizzo's Refresh Your Room Party

44 comments:

  1. Everything looks so nice Pam! I love all of your beachy touches. Such a nice place to unwind in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam you did a great job, it looks so pretty and calming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter has been wanting a headboard for ages. I'm going to have to point her in your directions - this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks Fabulous Pam! I love the headboard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is great! Love the clean lines and coastal feel of your room. I'm such a fan of navy blue. I've been dreaming of how to incorporate it back into my house.
    Wonderful transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love beach theme! Your room is wonderful! I just posted my beach cottage bathroom at www.simplicity-tracy.blogspot.com. Please check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the headboard idea! I'm knee deep in remodeling my kitchen, but once it is done I can move on to more fun projects. I'm enjoying your blog! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pam...

    Ohhh...your new headboard is gorgeous, my friend! You and your honey did a fabulous job making it...it turned out beautifully! I have never tried my hand at making an upholstered headboard. And...I just adore your new pillow shams and decorative starfish pillow...sooo pretty! Now, I have to tell you...your starfish flag is just the cutest thing ever! I bet you did have fun making it! It looks awesome on your wall! Well my dear, I do believe that you are well on your way to having a beautiful "coastal" getaway! Thank you for sharing it with us! So very inspiring!

    I also wanted to thank you for stopping by my place and leaving me such a sweet note! You just made my day, dear friend! Thank you!

    Have a wonderful weekend, Pam!
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job and I LOVE your headboard. Also the contrast with the yellow walls. Very profitable hanging around those DIY blogs, I'd say. We'll be having some projects once I move though you ambitious types continue to shame most of us. Love seeing it and thanks for stopping by Pam.

    Jane F

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks awesome Pam! I love the headboard idea, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pam! Love your beachy room! Great job with the headboard too! Thanks for stopping by my blog for a visit. Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pam! I wanted to congratulate you on winning my #1 Giveaway. Please send your mailing info to
    vicijil@hotmail.com so that I can get your prize mailed out to you!
    Again, CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pam beautiful job on your bedroom transformation! I love your little starfish pillow, and your starfish flag turned out awesome!! Great job, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pam, That is so very pretty. Love the beachy touch. Also, love your header. Been working on mine half the day and just can't get it right. Have a great week, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pam...thanks for joining my newbie party.
    Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pam, I think you colors and fabric choices are spot on for the beach look. A beautiful new room for spring. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pam! Great job on your completed bedroom! It looks soooo nice! Wonderfully beachy! :) Happy MM!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Pam!

    Nice of you to visit and leave such a sweet comment! I love your new headboard and beachy theme..I'm originally from Florida and that looks like it would fit right in! Love blue and white! Nice to meet you and I'm following you too!

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  19. This room looks great! Love the color combination. Saw you over at my blog Rustic Renditions, (link up party from Debbiedoos). Thanks for sharing your post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Pam,

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving your nice comment and for becoming a follower, I'm following you too!

    See you soon!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Pam, you all did a great job on the headboard, it's really wonderful, and I love the beach theme, the pillow is so cute!!
    hugs,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful makeover. I love the blue and white.

    Pat@BPM

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful! So serene and relaxing ... you've truly created a calming retreat! Thanks again for your visit ... I look foward to following along. :) *Becca*

    www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pam, What a coincidence - I also have a brass headboard. I grew tired of the shiny brass a few years back so I painted it ORB but lately I've been wanting to switch it out for a padded one. Been wondering how easy it would be to make my own so your b/a was very helpful.
    Jane T.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful bedroom!! Absolutely beautiful!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the little pillow. So jealous of anyone who can sew, lol. The whole room seeems so light and airy. Good work, love the headboard, doing one of those soon............Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your beachy themed bedrom is so pretty! I love the "lettered cottage" sign! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks great! You know, Ive been thinking about tackling an upholstered headboard for one of our guest rooms, and it never occurred to me that most fabric runs the wrong way to do it seemlessly! Thanks for bringing that up!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Everything looks amazing. I love the coastal feel of your bedroom. That headboard is really cool. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great metamorphosis! Well done.

    I am having a hilarious Linky party with prizes this Wednesday. Details are on the blog today.
    I hope you'll join in on the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this idea! I found your blog at the DIY Showoff. You have such great ideas and I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me back: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/

    Again, you did a fantastic job on your bedroom!! :-) Our home as a lot of coastal influenced decor and I would love to recreate the starfish flag you made - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome room, and congrats on the 100 followers Pam! Keep up the great work. :)
    Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh your room looks so serene now! I love it! Thanks for stopping by my blog glad you enjoyed it!

    Jen @ http://pinstripestopearls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very creative Pam!
    Love the coastal look !!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Pam,
    I was lucky enough to be awarded the stylih blogger award so I have passed it on to you! Please come by and grab the button!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful headboard! Great job! I love the pillows and your starfish wall art is so pretty! With it being so cold and ugly - I'd never leave your warm beach inspired bedroom! ;)

    Thanks so much for sharing in the DIY Project Parade, Pam!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  37. It looks wonderful! What great touches! Thank you so much for joining in on the spring party!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well done on the frugal, but fabulous changes you made in your bedroom. Don't you love all the inspiration to be found in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi! I found your blog from the Newbie Party, and Im now a follower. I love your beachy master! Our house is all about the coastal vibe, too.

    The starfish pillow is adorable!! Great job on your room.

    Lisa
    http://chicmagnifique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Pam-

    Love the quilted shell pillow fabric-and the shape of the pillows. Looks divine on the bed along with the headboard.
    My best- Diane

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your starfish pillow--I didn't think it looked homemade at ALL! In fact, I was going to ask where you got it--but I didn't have to! LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I must have missed this....the headboard is so perfect and I love the homemade flag!!!! This post reminds me I need to tell you a funny story about my headboard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. very nice nautical theme. love it. come link it up at our party, http://www.finecraftguild.com/party

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.