Monday, November 7, 2011

I Had a BALL Making These Towels

I've made many of these towels for myself and friends using other graphics, but was so excited when The Graphics Fairy posted these canning jars recently. (and in two colors!!)   I love this graphic!




I started with Jolee's Image Transfer Paper (purchased at Michael's)

I printed off the graphics on my  INKJET  printer (laser copies will not work with the transfer paper)   Be sure to ROTATE in Picnik to get the mirror image. 
 






 Cut around the graphic, but on this one don't cut too close.  It's a big transfer and it's best to leave a little extra edge so it adheres correctly.  Once it's washed a time or two, the edge will not show at all.



Heat up your iron on the cotton setting with NO steam.  I used a board underneath it.  I used Ikea towels.
  




Iron the towel where the graphic will be going, then set it on where you want it.  I generally keep it on the bottom half of the towel and centered between the red stripes.  It then will hang on my dishwasher handle and show up well.  (just my preference)  :)



Set the iron on each area for 20 seconds, making sure you get everything ironed really well.  (set the iron on the spot, hold for 20 seconds, pick the iron up and move it to another spot--don't move the iron around during those 20 seconds)  You can go over everything several times if you want. 


Let it cool completely and carefully remove the paper backing.  Make sure you don't launder the towels for at least 72 hours (per the directions on the transfer paper) so the image will adhere properly.


And you end up with these great towels.  The iron on transfer will fade some when you wash them, which will make them even more vintage looking!





Thanks for your visit!

Pam


 I am linking to the following parties:

Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesdays 
Potpourri Party at 2805 



The Graphics Fairy

39 comments:

  1. Your towels are so cute! Love those images and I mean, who doesn't love ball jars?! =)

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Pam, they look really nice in your kitchen! I love the that you were able to use both colors. They would make really nice gifts too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your towels! They turned out awesome. Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, Pam! Just love turning towels into decor around here, too. Graphics Fairy has just a wealth of images, so I love visiting her, too.
    Hope you have a fun and creative week.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your towels Pam! The jars are a great look for your kitchen.

    With Christmas coming around you’re giving us all great ideas. You’re so ahead and I need to follow your lead.

    xo,
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam those are darling, great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are great! I'm heading back to "like" you now! Awesome Graphic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice towels-- like the colored one even more (cuz I use CitraSolv for B&W images only- a little color is nice to see)

    Visiting from BRAG MONDAY at GraphicsFairy today with smiles,
    Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  9. great job and I love it! Towels at the stores these days are very boring!

    thanks
    natalie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE these towels! I have a zillion of those Ikea towels. Thanks for the tutorial because I must make some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am bookmarking this little project so I can tackle it in the near future. I'm thinking this would be cute Christmas gifts for my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought I'd used sealers every way possible but this is another great way to have them around! ~Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pam I saw that graphic, I knew it would be a popular one!! I have a couple of flour sack towels, just screaming for this graphic! thanks for trying it out for us!! LOL And thank you for letting us know that it washes well, I have never used transfers on towels

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't say anything bad, I just realized I had posted twice by mistake....OK now it's 3 times ....blonde,blonde,blonde!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my God! It's so super easy and fun. I wonder where would I get an image transfer paper but once I get my hands on them, these are definitely happening :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the towels! Graphics Fairy has such wonderful offerings, and I love the Ball jar graphic. Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karen's jars look so good on the towels - lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karen's jars look so good on the towels - lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I collect the blue jars, so this is just amazing! Thank you so much for sharing! This totally makes my day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love these!!! Pam, they look great. What a great image for towels.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for posting this... I just bought the same Ikea towels and transfer paper!! They look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love them!! the blue-green one would look awesome in my kitchen =]

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love those too--the blue green one would look good in my kitchen too! (I noticed my daughter already said that!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These a just the cutest!
    I haven't seen them at the Graphics Fairy... have to go see.

    Thanks for sharing this fun project at my Bunny Hop!

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Pam,
    visiting from Bunny Hop Wednesday and just wanted to say how much I liked your tea towels, the canning jar motif is fab!
    Isn't blogland just full of great ideas?
    Happy BHW!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I Love the towels! And, I have an obsession with Ball jars so I will definitely be making these! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These would make great Christmas gifts...I may just have to look into some of that transfer paper!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very cute. I love those Ikea towels - so inexpensive and great for these types of things.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cute Cute Cute! Thank you for sharing your tutorial...I really want to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Totally LOVE them! I saw that graphic and was itching to do something with it, but hadn't decided what yet. Those would make lovely Christmas gifts.

    Blessings,
    Angie @ Knick of Time Interiors

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very nice and fun. Thanks for the tutorial.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  32. How cute is that! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  33. Soooooo cute! I'm inspired to make some for myself. Thanks for sharing.

    Sharon@ mrshinesclass

    ReplyDelete
  34. Adorable towels! I've been meaning to do a project like this. Thanks for the inspiration! And I didn't know that the transfer paper outline would disapear with washings...that was something that always bothered me about those transfer pages. Now I think I'll give it a try!
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are the transfer queen Pam! Love Ball jars and these towels are wonderful! Hope you have a fantastic weekend!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.