Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Using Omni-Gel to Transfer Images


I love transferring images onto wood, metal, terra cotta, towels, etc!  I think I've tried almost all of the ways out there!  

Here's another option that works especially well on tiles for coasters, metal cans and even wood!--Omni-Gel.  I purchased it at Michael's. 



Follow the directions on the bottle:

Print off an image using a laser printer (or make a laser copy at Kinko's) on white paper.  Use the regular image NOT the mirror image for this process.

Apply a smooth coat of Omni-Gel using a foam brush.  Go in one direction over the image and a good amount around the edges.

Let that dry, (it takes about 15 minutes) then go over everything in the opposite direction with another smooth coat.

Let that dry, then brush on a third coat diagonally. 
  
Graphics from The Graphics Fairy

After it's completely dry, set the paper in a bowl of water.  (I use a Dollar Store dish bucket)

 Let that sit in the water for about 15 minutes. (extra time in the water doesn't hurt)

 I put the wet image on a piece of wax paper or foil so it doesn't move much.

I used to use my finger in a swirling motion to remove the paper, then I started using a micro-fiber cloth.  It is SO much faster and easier!  You may need to spray it with water or dip it back in the bowl to keep the paper damp while you're removing it.






(Please excuse the different images here.  I was making a lot of things at once.)  :)   This graphic is also from The Graphics Fairy


You will want to get ALL of the paper off as it will look cloudy after you've finished your project (not good!)  if you've missed any.  Using the micro-fiber cloth really helped.  I let it dry a bit, then go back and add a little water to see if any additional paper comes up.




If I'm planning to adhere the image to wood or metal, I cut it to size at this point.  I cut right along the edge of the graphic for wood or metal projects.  If I'm going to use the image for coasters, I wait until I have applied it to the tile so it covers everything perfectly, then cut right at the edge of the tile.

Then apply a coat of Omni-Gel to the back of the image and set it on the can or wooden piece.  Smooth out all of the air bubbles and let it dry.




Here is an image applied to a wood box using the same technique.
Graphic from The Graphics Fairy


If you want to make fun coasters, start with a 4" tile.  I purchased mine for 38 cents each at Lowe's.




Apply self stick cork board to the back. I purchased a roll of it at Michael's.
 



 Use the above process using Omni-Gel.
 Graphic from Graphique on Etsy


 Apply the image onto the tile using the above process.  Set your scissors right on the edge of the tile and cut it.  It will be a little slippery as it's wet with Omni-Gel.  Rub the edges into the rough edges of the tile so they really won't show up.

When it's dry, sprinkle a little bit of salt on the tile and spray it with a clear sealant.  I've had the problem in the past with some tiles where wet glasses would stick to the tile.  It seems to work well to add the salt to solve this problem.

So now you've got several projects you can make with Omni-Gel transfers.  

Happy Crafting!

Pam

I am linking to the following parties:

Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesdays 

 


Photobucket The Graphics Fairy

30 comments:

  1. Pam you are so creative and the queen of transferring images!! I LOVE all of them!! Martina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything you've made, Pam! Can you tell me how long the process takes - it looks a little lengthy (hopefully not). I'd love to try this on wood and metal.

    Don't forget to link up to Knick of Time Tuesday today and enter my giveaway for a canvas photo print - it's perfect for Christmas!

    Blessings,
    Angie @ Knick of Time Interiors

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam,

    Omni-Gel looks really cool to use. I love how it even works with tile.

    Your transfer projects are always the best!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your projects! I'm wishing I had a laser printer so I could do a project. I'd have to drive 20 minutes to have one printed out at Staples :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing these techniques, Pam!! I definitely want to try them!! I'll let you know when I do! Your projects turned out great!!

    Have a lovely week!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of Omni-Gel before your post! I *love* the coaster idea. :D I might have to try that one!

    xoxoxoxo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. These projects are beautiful! I have made many coasters using the same technique and used them for gifts.

    So nice stopping by to visit with you!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your box! I am learning new techniques every day!! I have never heard of this! I will put it on my list of things to try!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for giving us yet another way to use transfers, Pam! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so curious to try this technique. After all, you make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a busy little bee...love the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so interested in trying out the different transfer processes. I read every word of your post and am so inspired. Your projects look great. Thanks so much for the tutorial.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. I received some citrasolv in the mail 20 minutes ago! lol I think this is a lot like something I did back in the late 80's. It was a product called "Picture This".
    Thanks for sharing this technique!
    gail
    ps found you from a friend on FB

    ReplyDelete
  14. So neat! Thanks for stopping by, the service is usually during church but people were leaving for home on Sunday so they had it Saturday. Otherwise Sunday would have been one long day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will have to try this! I like the idea of not have to do the reverse image...I always forget to do that.

    jamie @ sewrockin.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pam - I just found you at No Minimalist. So glad I did! I will definitely follow you as soon as I comment! I have never heard of this process, though I've of course seen the end result. Wow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea. Question: did you purchase the gel recently? I've looked at Michaels and Hobby Lobby and both say they don't carry it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cleaver! I'm thinking of what I can do with this. I love the coasters! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those coasters are darling! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is quite a process but so worth it. The tiles are incredible and the wood box looks authentically vintage. I wish I had to time to try transferring on to fabric. Have you ever used the Splendid Blender pen? I have looked for one but can't find any...just curious what you thought. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I need to add that to my list of Christmas projects! Love the image on the box, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never heard of this product so thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't seen Omni-Gel. But seeing your great projects, I'll definitely look for it. I just can't seem to find a transfer method I really like. Maybe this will be it. Thanks for the great tutorial and the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your projects are so cute. Love how it's so easy to transfer images onto tiles. Thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, my! I USED to be a crafter, and the spirit of it left me somehow. Now--with your help--I think I'll be getting back to it. It gave me so much pleasure--I am so glad to be getting it back--from you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a glossy picture have you ever tryed that? I did, It didnt work. Wondering if you have and if so have any tips for me??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, I think if the glossy picture has been printed on a laser printer, it should work. I don't think a photograph will work with this process.

      Thanks for coming by!

      Pam

      Delete
  27. Pam, I've just discovered your blog and love it!!

    I was reading the entry about image transfer and thought I'd send you a tip I learned in attempting image transfer myself. The hobby and craft stores sell a product called "Rub It/Scrub It" which is meant for cleaning rubber stamps, but works very well when used to remove paper from an image. Just don't press really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful. That was very interesting idea there. I would definitely try that sometime.


    Discount Canvas Prints

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.